Something we don’t like: the idea that exercise is only worth it if you spend two hours in the gym huffing and puffing.
Something we do like: joyful movement.
Joyful movement is pretty much what the name says: finding ways to move joyfully.
It prioritizes pleasure and choice (a win-win) and it can be just about anything: a hike on your local trail, a game of hide-and-seek with your rambunctious little cousin, or even an interpretive dance after a long day. So, if you’re looking for a sustainable way to move this summer, here are 20 joyful movement ideas.
- Plant a garden – planting tomatoes may not seem like exercise, but getting your hands dirty in the hot sun is a fun way to break a sweat.
- Pick fruit – picking a peach is the new pilates.
- Play yard games at the BBQ you host – if you don’t get competitive during cornhole, we just want to talk.
- Hop in the pool – whether you swim, tread water, or do aqua aerobics, this is a refreshing way to move.
- Canoe/kayak – you’ll move muscles you didn’t even know existed.
- Outdoor scavenger hunt – who doesn’t love solving riddles and finding surprises?
- Walk around a local farmer’s market – the best part about this one is that you’re getting your steps in while searching for honey.
- Horseback ride – you get to be active while petting an animal, what’s not to love?
- Camp – pitching a tent takes serious focus and work.
- Do a ropes course – you won’t even realize you’re working out because you’ll be so focused on successfully getting across the course.
- Take your dog for a nice, long walk – your pup (and your endorphins) will thank you.
- Do yard work – lifting, digging, bending, and raking is a surefire way to fire up those quads.
- Frisbee – this is just good old-fashioned fun.
- Dance in your backyard – do it like the neighbors aren’t watching.
- Try laughter yoga – you know the feeling of your abs hurting after a good laugh? That.
- Hula hoop – we’re jealous of the people who can keep their hoops up for more than 30 seconds.
- Jump on a trampoline – we’re out of breath just thinking about this, but it’s just so much fun.
- Rollerblade – don’t forget the knee and elbow pads!
- Bike ride – fun, breezy, and you can go at whatever pace you want.
- Go to a waterpark – you go down a waterslide 30 times and tell us you’re not exhausted.
For more joyful movement inspiration, check out Noom Weight today.